Skip to main content

How to fix "Umbraco cannot start. A connection string is configured but the Umbraco cannot connect to the database." error on local dev website

Recently I have started working on a Umbraco v7 website and as a first step, I wanted to create a local database by restoring it from a backup file, and after creating the DB and create a new Login for the Umbraco v7 database, I started to see the following problem;



After doing some investigation, I realised that other people had a similar problem with their Umbraco V7 local websites. After trying some of the suggestions, I ended up doing some more investigation and came up with the following solution;

  • Right-click on your localhost and select Properties
  • Go to the Security page and select "Server authentication" as "SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode"
  • Hit OK.
  • Go to Services and find your SQL Server service and restart it.
  • You should be able to see your website now. If you still have problems, check your local setup and permissions. 
  • Further details are below, hope this helps somebody else.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to fix Umbraco v9 "Boot Failed : Umbraco failed to boot, if you are the owner of the website please see the log file for more details." error

If you have started working with Umbraco v9 and done your first Azure deployment to one of your testing environments, there is a possibility that you might see the following "Boot Failed" error. Error: Checking the logs In order to understand the problem, you should check the Umbarco log file.  The default location for this file is umbraco/Logs and this file contains the Machine name, along with the date information. You can reach this file via Azure's Kudu Service  or alternatively, you can get download your Azure App Service's publish profile and connect your App Service via an FTP application, i.e. FileZilla. See the FileZilla screen below; Once you get your log file, you can download it to your local machine and open it with a text editor, i.e. Notepad++. When you open it, you will see all logs, including the error message. Please be aware, as most things with Umbraco, logging is also customizable, so you can either use the default Umbraco logging which is Micros

How to use JQuery Ajax Methods for Async ASP.NET MVC Action Methods

Making repeatedly calls to async methods can be a nightmare. In this case, it makes sense to use 2 ajax methods, instead of one. Here is a simple solution to overcome this problem. See that  ajaxcalls   is emptied after the success response for the first ajax call and then the second ajax method is used to make one single call to the async action method. Hope it helps. View: @section Scripts{     < script type ="text/javascript">         var smartDebitObject = new Object();         smartDebitObject.MembershipNumber = $( "#MembershipNumber" ).val();         smartDebitObject.ProfileId = $( "#ProfileId" ).val();         smartDebitObject.FirstName = $( "#FirstName" ).val();         smartDebitObject.LastName = $( "#LastName" ).val();         smartDebitObject.AddressLine1 = $( "#AddressLine1" ).val();         smartDebitObject.Postcode = $( "#Postcode" ).val();         smartDebitObject

How to fix Umbraco CMS Build Error NU1104: Unable to find project '..\Umbraco-CMS\tools\Umbraco.Core\Umbraco.Core.csproj'.

Yesterday during an online meeting , I was talking about how to contribute to Umbraco CMS . As part of this talk, in order to set up my local Umbraco CMS project ,  I cloned the latest Umbraco.CMS code to my local machine, but when I built it I saw the following error: Error NU1104 Unable to find project ' D : \git \repos \Umbraco -CMS \tools \Umbraco .Core \Umbraco .Core .csproj ' . Check that the project reference is valid and that the project file exists . Umbraco .JsonSchema D : \git \repos \Umbraco -CMS \tools \Umbraco .JsonSchema \Umbraco .JsonSchema .csproj I was surprised to see this error as I did the exact same thing a couple of days ago and saw no problems.  After trying a few things, I checked the Umbraco.JsonSchema project's project references and realised that Umbraco.Core project reference was broken.  After removing Umbraco.Core from the Umbraco.JsonSchema and adding it again fixed the problem and I could then do my local database setup as normal.